Commodities and Capabilities
AbstractCommodities and Capabilities presents a set of inter-related theses concerning the foundations of welfare economics, and in particular about the assessment of personal well-being and advantage. The argument presented focuses on the capability to function, i.e. what a person can do or can be, questioning in the process the more standard emphasis on opulence or on utility. In fact, a person's motivation behind choice is treated here as a parametric variable which may or may not coincide with the pursuit of self-interest. Given the large number of practical problems arising from the roles and limitations of different concepts of interest and the judgement of advantage and well-being, this scholarly investigation is both of theoretical interest and practical import.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Oxford University Press in its series OUP Catalogue with number 9780195650389 and published in 1999.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oup.com/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ryan Cooper & Sebastian Martinez & Adam Ross & Raimundo Undurraga, 2013. "Shelter from the Storm: Upgrading Housing Infrastructure in Latin American Slums," NBER Working Papers 19322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hope, David & Bates, Timothy & Penke, Lars & Gow, Alan J. & Starr, John M. & Deary, Ian J., 2013. "Symmetry of the face in old age reflects childhood social status," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 236-244.
- Suh, Sangwon, 2004. "Functions, commodities and environmental impacts in an ecological-economic model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 451-467, April.
- Ruud Muffels & Bruce Headey, 2013.
"Capabilities and Choices: Do They Make Sen’se for Understanding Objective and Subjective Well-Being? An Empirical Test of Sen’s Capability Framework on German and British Panel Data,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 110(3), pages 1159-1185, February.
- Ruud Muffels & Bruce Headey, 2011. "Capabilities and Choices: Do They Make Sen'se for Understanding Objective and Subjective Well-Being? An Empirical Test of Sen's Capability Framework on German and British Panel Data," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 385, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2007019 is not listed on IDEAS
- P. G. Ardeni & C. Tinonin, 2013. "Capability-Deprivation as Determinant of Underweight in Children: Perspectives from an Indian Case-Study," Working Papers wp904, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Christian Arndt & Jürgen Volkert, 2007. "A Capability Approach for Official German Poverty and Wealth Reports: Conceptual Background and First Empirical Results," IAW Discussion Papers 27, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Christian Arndt & Juergen Volkert, 2009. "Poverty and Wealth Reporting of the German Government: Approach, Lessons and Critique," IAW Discussion Papers 51, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Ahnquist, Johanna & Wamala, Sarah P. & Lindstrom, Martin, 2012. "Social determinants of health – A question of social or economic capital? Interaction effects of socioeconomic factors on health outcomes," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(6), pages 930-939.
- Sebastián Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ryan Cooper & Sebastián Martínez & Adam Ross & Raimundo Undurraga, 2014. "Shelter from the Storm: Upgrading Housing Infrastructure in Latin American Slums," IDB Publications 85755, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mitch Gainer, 2013. "Assessing Happiness Inequality in the Welfare State: Self-Reported Happiness and the Rawlsian Difference Principle," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 453-464, November.
- Mark S. Peacock, 2011. "The capacity to choose: reformulating the concept of choice in economic theory," The Journal of Philosophical Economics, Bucharest Academy of Economic Studies, The Journal of Philosophical Economics, vol. 4(2), pages 15-36, May.
- McLeod, Darryl, 2006. "How fast did developing country poverty fall during the 1990s? Capabilities-based tests of rival estimates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 297-303, March.
- Tomáš Želinský, 2010. "Analysis of Poverty in Slovakia Based on the Concept of Relative Deprivation," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(4), pages 542-565.
- Bert G.M. Van Landeghem, 2008. "Human Well-Being over the Life Cycle: Longitudinal Evidence from a 20-Year Panel," LICOS Discussion Papers 21308, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Anthony B. Atkinson, 2011. "The Restoration of Welfare Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 157-61, May.
- Anderson, Bret, 2012. "Converting Asset Holdings into Livelihood: An Empirical Study on the Role of Household Agency in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1394-1406.
- Tsakloglou, Panos & Papadopoulos, Fotis, 2001. "Identifying Population Groups at High Risk of Social Exclusion: Evidence from the ECHP," IZA Discussion Papers 392, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Jacquet & Jean-Michel Severino, 2002. "L’aide au développement : une politique publique au cœur du développement durable et de la gouvernance de la mondialisation," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 66(2), pages 229-251.
- Prabhir Poruthiyil, 2013. "Weaning Business Ethics from Strategic Economism: The Development Ethics Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 735-749, September.
- Robin Mansell, 2010. "Power and interests in developing knowledge societies: exogenous and endogenous discourses in contention," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 29255, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rebecca Cassells & Justine McNamara & Philippa Wicks, 2010. "Well-being Among Australian Children: A Review of Frameworks and Measures," NATSEM Working Paper Series 11/01, University of Canberra, National Centre for Social and Economic Modelling.
- Robert Lepenies, 2014. "Economists as political philosophers : a critique of normative trade theory," RSCAS Working Papers 2014/11, European University Institute.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ryan Cooper & Sebastian Martinez & Adam Ross & Raimundo Undurraga, 2014. "Shelter from the Storm: Upgrading Housing Infrastructure in Latin American Slums," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0165, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Book Marketing).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.