Why Europe has to offer a better deal towards its Muslim communities. A quantitative analysis of open international data
AbstractOur rigorous quantitative results, based on the first systematic use of the Muslim community data contained in the "European Social Survey" (ESS), compatible with much of the rest of current European political economic thinking regarding the future alternatives for the European Union, and contradict the very extended current alarmist political discourse in Western Europe. Those give strong support to the hypothesis that passive support for Islamist radicalism in Europe and the complete distrust in democracy does not exceed 400.000 persons. We also compare our research results with the recent PEW data. By and large, the two datasets yield the same results. We also find that Muslim economic and social alienation in Europe very much corresponds to deficiencies of the implementation of the "Lisbon" process. We also present a rigorous re-analysis of United States Department of State data on acts of global terrorism in the framework of Kondratiev cycle waves. Further dispelling irrational immigration-phobias and Islamophobia in general, the present work also shows that, by and large, pretty much the same functions of key (positive or negative) UNDP development indicators (y-axis) hold in comparison with purchasing power per capita (x-axis) in the Muslim world and the non-Muslim countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Entelequia y Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga) in its series Entelequia eBooks with number b001 and published in 2006.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.eumed.net/entelequia/
Labor discrimination; economic integration; economic development; comparative studies of countries; Income Distribution; Prices; Business Fluctuations and Cycles; International Economic Order; Inequality;
Other versions of this item:
- Arno Tausch, & Christian Bischof & Tomz Kastrun & Karl Mueller (ed.), 2006. "Why Europe has to offer a better deal towards its Muslim communities. A quantitative analysis of open international data," E-books in International Relations, Argentine Center of International Studies, edition 1, volume 1, number 016, November.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- J70 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - General
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tausch, Arno & Ghymers, Christian, 2011.
"Los católicos globales. El primer sondeo global del catolicismo mundial según el “World Values Survey” y el “European Social Survey”
[Global Catholics. The first global opinion survey of ," MPRA Paper 33228, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Islam in Wikipedia (Polish)
- Islam en France in Wikipedia (French)
- World Values Survey in Wikipedia (Spanish)
- Muslim world in Wikipedia (English)
- Islam en Francia in Wikipedia (Spanish)
- Islamismo na Europa in Wikipedia (Portuguese)
- Islamism in Wikipedia (English)
- 世界価値観調査 in Wikipedia (Japanese)
- World Values Survey in Wikipedia (English)
- World Values Survey in Wikipedia (Dutch)
- Islam in Europe in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Gómez Sánchez) or (Lisette Villamizar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.