Finance and Growth: Institutional Considerations, Financial Policies and Causality
AbstractAuthors in this article suggest that country specific institutional factors and policies are likely to influence the causal nature of the relationship between financial development and economic growth. Authors conduct cointegration and causality tests using time series data for twelve representative countries. The empirical results show considerable variation of causality across countries which can be explained by institutional and policy differences, providing support to the main hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb in its journal Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 2 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Postal: Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, Faculty of Economics and Business, Trg J. F. Kennedy 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia.
Other versions of this item:
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades, 1997. "Finance and Growth: Insitututional Considerations, Financial Policies and Causality," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 97/02, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nabi, Mahmoud Sami & Suliman, Mohamed Osman, 2008.
"The Institutional Environment and the Banking - Growth Nexus: Theory and Investigation for MENA,"
11854, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohamed Osman Suliman & Mahmoud Sami Nabi, 2008. "The Institutional Environment and the Banking - Growth Nexus: Theory and Investigation for MENA," Working Papers 392, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 2008.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007.
"Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jurica Šimurina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.