Sewer plant operating efficiency, patronage, and competition
AbstractSewer treatment plants in New York State, US, are studied for efficiency and economies of scale. Substantial economies of scale are found. The degree of inefficiency for each plant is then computed and this inefficiency is related to the degree of market concentration in that county. The result found is that greater concentration induces a reduction in efficiency. This is argued to be consistent with the Tiebout Hypothesis. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hochman, Oded & Pines, David & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1995.
"On the Optimal Structure of Local Governments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1224-40, December.
- Hochman, Oded & Pines, David & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1994. "On the Optimal Structure of Local Governments," CEPR Discussion Papers 899, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hochman, O. & Pines, D. & Thisse, J.-F., . "On the optimal structure of local governments," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1185, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Oates, Wallace E, 1985. "Searching for Leviathan: An Empirical Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 748-57, September.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1984. "Productivity Change in State and Local Governments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 256-66, May.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Santerre, Rexford E, 1990. "A Test of Executive Behavior in the Local Public Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 546-50, August.
- Wyckoff, Paul Gary, 1991. "Testing Bureaucratic Influence on Local School Expenditures by Comparing Survey and Expenditure Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 331-35, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.