Did LBOs create value in US food industries in the 1980s?
AbstractThe objective of the study is to determine whether LBOs (leveraged buyouts) created value in the 1980s. LBOs existed before the 1980s but their number and dollar value increased in the 1980s. Value of LBOs in food industries peaked at US$65 billion in 1989. In dollar value, the RJR Nabisco and Beatrice Foods LBOs are the two largest leveraged buyouts in US history. A sample of target firms, taken privately in an LBO in the 1980s, was analyzed to reach the objective. Multiples of purchase price to book value at takeover announcement date were studied. Debt repayments and divestitures were analyzed. Results show that the structure of deals has changed since the 1980s. © 1995 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 11 (1995)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaplan, Steven N., 1989. "Campeau's acquisition of federated : Value destroyed or value added," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 191-212, December.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110.
- Heyder, Matthias & Ebneth, Oliver & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2008. "Financial Market Reactions To International Mergers & Acquisitions In The Brewing Industry: An Event Study Analysis," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7610, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.