Costs and Benefits of EU Eastern Enlargement for Austria
AbstractThe Agenda 2000 of the European Commission and the state of play in negotiations imply that the current candidate countries are going to join the Union in two consecutive groups. This is why simulations for the 2002 to 2010 period, using WIFO's macroeconometric model, assume that the first group of 5 CEECs will accede in 2002 and the other 5 CEECs in 2007. In all, eastward enlargement of the EU is likely to have a positive effect on almost all aggregates of the Austrian economy in the medium and longer term. By 2010, real GDP is projected to be 1.3 percent higher than in a scenario without eastern enlargement. Also, employment figures are expected to rise by around 27,000 workers. The price level would be almost 1 percent lower, and new borrowings of the government would be down 0.4 percent of GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by WIFO in its journal Quarterly.
Volume (Year): 4 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Costs and Benefits of EU Eastern Enlargement for Austria; Focusing on EU Eastern Enlargement;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Fritz Breuss & Jean Tesche, .
"A General Equilibrium Evaluation of Trade and Industrial Policy Changes in Austria and Hungary,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Fritz Breuss & Jean Tesche, 1994. "A general equilibrium evaluation of trade and industrial policy changes in Austria and Hungary," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 534-552, September.
- Fritz Breuss & Fritz Schebeck, 1996. "Opening up of Eastern Europe and Eastward Enlargement of the EU. The Impact on Austria," Austrian Economic Quarterly, WIFO, vol. 1(2), pages 97-107, May.
- Fritz Breuss & Kurt Kratena & Fritz Schebeck, 1994. "Effekte eines EU-Beitritts für die Gesamtwirtschaft und für die einzelnen Sektoren," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 67(5), pages 18-33, May.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2000. "Die Osterweiterung der EU aus der Sicht bestehender Mitgliedsländer: Was lehrt uns die Theorie der ökonomischen Integration?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(2), pages 115-141, 05.
- Fritz Breuss, 2002. "Benefits and Dangers of EU Enlargement," Empirica, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 245-274, September.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Christian Keuschnigg & Wilhelm Kohler, 2002.
"Eastern Enlargement of the EU: Jobs, Investment and Welfare in Present Member Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
718, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm, 2002. "Eastern enlargement of the EU: jobs, investment and welfare in present member countries," CCSO Working Papers 200213, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Christian Keuschnigg & Wilhelm Kohler, 2001. "Eastern enlargement of the EU: Jobs, investment and welfare in present member countries," Economics working papers 2001-11, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Björn Alecke & Gerhard Untiedt, 2002. "Perspektiven der EU-Osterweiterung: Gesamt- und regionalwirtschaftliche Ergebnisse," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 55(01), pages 15-23, 01.
- Wilhelm Kohler, 2000. "Die Osterweiterung der EU aus der Sicht bestehender Mitgliedsländer: Was lehrt uns die Theorie der ökonomischen Integration?," Economics working papers 2000-01, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Fink, Gerhard, 2009. "Comparative advantage, regional specialization and income distribution: The case of Austria in perspective," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 239-259.
- Özlem Onaran, 2008. "The effect of import penetration on labor market outcomes in Austrian manufacturing industry," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp119, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Kohler, Wilhelm K., 2004. "Eastern Enlargement of the EU : A Comprehensive Welfare Assessment," HWWA Discussion Papers 260, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.