More Aidâ€”Making It Work for the Poor
AbstractThis paper highlights the economic challenges that would be associated with a successful effort by industrial countries to meet the goal of devoting 0.7 percent of their GNP to official development assistance (ODA) to help poor countries. To help achieve the Millennium Development Goals, enhanced ODA must be as productive as possible. In weighing the distribution of aid among countries, it is necessary to limit potentially adverse â€˜real transfer effectsâ€™. A multi-pronged approach to ODA is recommended that includes the use of trust funds and the financing of global public goods, in addition to direct bilateral transfers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE in its journal World Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): 3 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George Mavrotas & David Fielding, 2010.
"The Volatility of Aid,"
- Lin, Tun & Mavrotas, George, 2004. "A Contract Perspective on the International Finance Facility," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe & Gaspart, Frederic, 2003. "The Risk of Resource Misappropriation in Community-Driven Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 1687-1703, October.
- Francesco Saraceno & Paola Monperrus-Veroni, 2004.
"A Simple Proposal for a 'Debt-Sensitive Stability Pact',"
- Francesco Saraceno & Paola Monperrus-Veroni, 2004. "A Simple Proposal for a "Debt-Sensitive Stability Pact"," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(3), pages 471-480.
- Buti, Marco & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Franco, Daniele, 2005.
"The Stability Pact Pains: A Forward-Looking Assessment of the Reform Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5216, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2005. "The Stability pact Pains: A Forward-Looking Assessment of the Reform Debate," Discussion Paper 2005-101, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bourguignon, Fran.ois & Sundberg, Mark, 2006. "Absorptive Capacity and Achieving the MDGs," Working Paper Series RP2006/47, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mark McGillivray, 2003. "Efficacité de l'aide et sélectivité : vers un concept élargi," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(4), pages 43-62.
- George Mavrotas & Bazoumana Ouattara, 2007. "Aid Modalities and Budgetary Response: Panel Data Evidence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(4), pages 720-741, December.
- Thierry Tressel & Alessandro Prati, 2006. "Aid Volatility and Dutch Disease: Is There a Role for Macroeconomic Policies?," IMF Working Papers 06/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Addison, Tony & Mavrotas, George & McGillivray, Mark, 2005. "Aid, Debt Relief and New Sources of Finance for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals," Working Paper Series RP2005/09, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Artis, Michael J & Onorante, Luca, 2006.
"The Economic Importance of Fiscal Rules,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Addison, Tony & Mavrotas, George & McGillivray, Mark, 2005. "Development Assistance and Development Finance: Evidence and Global Policy Agendas," Working Paper Series RP2005/23, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2005. "Development assistance and development finance: evidence and global policy agendas," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 819-836.
- Tony Addison & George Mavrotas & Mark McGillivray, 2010. "Aid, Debt Relief and New Sources of Finance for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals," Working Papers id:2592, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.