Investigating the Decline in Manufacturing Quit Rates
AbstractIn contrast to previous studies, the research reported here finds that the quit rate in manufacturing has declined in recent decades. This trend is discernible not only for aggregate manufacturing, but also for 19 of 20 manufacturing industries. An increase in fixed costs of labor relative to wages has contributed to reduced mobility, inducing employers to raise the cost of quitting to employees. The impact on labor turnover of other factors, including unionism, a changing composition of employment in various industries, and labor legislation, is also investigated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 19 (1984)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Campbell, Carl & Orszag, J. Michael, 1998. "A model of the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 119-125, April.
- Lacroix, Robert & Montmarquette, Claude & Mahseredjian, Sophie & Froment, Nicole, 1991.
"Disparités interindustrielles dans les taux de départs volontaires : une étude empirique,"
L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique,
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 67(4), pages 458-481, dÃ©cembre.
- Lacroix, R. & Montmarquette, C. & Mahseredjian, S., 1990. "Disparites Interindustrielles Dans les Taux de Departs Volontaires: une Etude Empirique," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9002, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Lacroix, R. & Montmarquette, C. & Mahseredjian, S. & Froment, N., 1990. "Disparites Interindustrielles Dans Les Taux De Departs Volontaires: Une Etude Empirique," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 9002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Campbell, Carl III, 1995. "A cross-industry time-series analysis of quits," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 53-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.