Investigating the Decline in Manufacturing Quit Rates
AbstractIn contrast to previous studies, the research reported here finds that the quit rate in manufacturing has declined in recent decades. This trend is discernible not only for aggregate manufacturing, but also for 19 of 20 manufacturing industries. An increase in fixed costs of labor relative to wages has contributed to reduced mobility, inducing employers to raise the cost of quitting to employees. The impact on labor turnover of other factors, including unionism, a changing composition of employment in various industries, and labor legislation, is also investigated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 19 (1984)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Campbell, Carl III, 1995. "A cross-industry time-series analysis of quits," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 53-72.
- Lacroix, Robert & Montmarquette, Claude & Mahseredjian, Sophie & Froment, Nicole, 1991.
"Disparités interindustrielles dans les taux de départs volontaires : une étude empirique,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 67(4), pages 458-481, dÃ©cembre.
- Lacroix, R. & Montmarquette, C. & Mahseredjian, S., 1990. "Disparites Interindustrielles Dans les Taux de Departs Volontaires: une Etude Empirique," Cahiers de recherche 9002, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Lacroix, R. & Montmarquette, C. & Mahseredjian, S. & Froment, N., 1990. "Disparites Interindustrielles Dans Les Taux De Departs Volontaires: Une Etude Empirique," Cahiers de recherche 9002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Campbell, Carl & Orszag, J. Michael, 1998. "A model of the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 119-125, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.