A New Variance Bound on the Stochastic Discount Factor
AbstractIn this paper, we construct a new variance bound on any stochastic discount factor (SDF) of the form m = m(x), with x being a vector of state variables, which tightens the well-known Hansen-Jagannathan bound by a ratio of one over the multiple correlation coefficient between x and the standard minimum variance SDF, m0. In many applications, the correlation is small, and hence the bound is much improved. For example, when x is the growth rate of consumption, the new variance bound can be 25 times greater than the Hansen-Jagannathan bound, making it much more difficult to explain the equity-premium puzzle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Glode, Vincent, 2011. "Why mutual funds "underperform"," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 546-559, March.
- Chrétien, Stéphane, 2012. "Bounds on the autocorrelation of admissible stochastic discount factors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1943-1962.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Chabi-Yo, Fousseni, 2012. "Variance bounds on the permanent and transitory components of stochastic discount factors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 191-208.
- Fousseni Chabi-Yo & René Garcia & Eric Renault, 2005. "The Stochastic Discount Factor: Extending the Volatility Bound and a New Approach to Portfolio Selection with Higher-Order Moments," Working Papers 05-2, Bank of Canada.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Chabi-Yo, Fousseni, 2011. "Variance Bounds on the Permanent and Transitory Components of Stochastic Discount Factors," Working Paper Series 2011-11, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.