The Dynamic Adjustment Process of Firm Entry and Exit in Manufacturing and Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate
AbstractThis article examines the dynamic adjustment process of firm entry and exit in manufacturing and finance, insurance, and real estate (FIRE). The object is to extend our knowledge of firm dynamics to include firm exit as well as nonmanufacturing firms. This interindustry comparison of firm dynamics uses a unique longitudinal firm-level data set containing over 13,000 firms. I report three main findings. First, in both industries firm entry is characterized by a decline in the first two moments of the growth rate distributions and by a rise in the first two moments of the relative firm size distribution as firms age. Second, in both industries firm exit is characterized by falling mean growth rates and mean relative firm size for a number of periods prior to exit. Third, relative to FIRE, firm entry and exit in manufacturing is a longer process and involves larger adjustments in relative firm size. Copyright 1996 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law & Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002.
"Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies
599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," HUI Working Papers 2, HUI Research.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2009.
"The Shadow of Death: Analysing the Pre-Exit Productivity of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms,"
GEMF Working Papers
2008-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2011. "The shadow of death: analysing the pre-exit productivity of Portuguese manufacturing firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 337-351, April.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Maloney, William F. & Ribeiro, Eduardo, 2001. "Firm entry and exit, labor demand, and trade reform : evidence from Chile and Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2659, The World Bank.
- Daniel Fackler & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"Lingering illness or sudden death? Pre-exit employment developments in German establishments,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
258, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Fackler, Daniel & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "Lingering Illness or Sudden Death? Pre-Exit Employment Developments in German Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 7081, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fackler, Daniel & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "Lingering illness or sudden death? Pre-exit employment developments in German establishments," Discussion Papers 82, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Kosová, Renáta & Lafontaine, Francine, 2012. "Much ado about chains: A research agenda," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 303-308.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhayn, .
"A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics,"
GSIA Working Papers
2002-E9, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gina Luca Clementi & Hugo A Hopenhayn, 2006. "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(1), pages 229-265, 02.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhagn, 2004. "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," Working Papers 04-25, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhayn, 2002. "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," RCER Working Papers 492, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2011. "The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 2980-3018, December.
- Frech, Ted, 2002.
"Corporate Demography and Empirical Industrial Organization: A Critical Appraisal,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt451647b2, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- H. E. Frech, 2002. "Corporate Demography and Empirical Industrial Organization: A Critical Appraisal," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 437-448.
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2009. "The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics," NBER Working Papers 15544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott Schuh & Robert K Triest, 1998. "Job Reallocation And The Business Cycle: New Facts An Old Debate," Working Papers 98-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Mathias Erlei & Jens-Peter Springmann, 2006. "Small is Successful!?," TUC Working Papers in Economics 0005, Abteilung für Volkswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Clausthal (Department of Economics, Technical University Clausthal).
- Carrington, William J. & Fallick, Bruce C., 2014. "Why Do Earnings Fall with Job Displacement?," Working Paper 1405, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Scott Schuh & Robert K. Triest, 1998. "Job reallocation and the business cycle: new facts for an old debate," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 42(Jun), pages 271-357.
- Dunne, Timothy & Merrell, David R., 2001. "Gross employment flows in U.S. coal mining," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 217-224, May.
- Fan, Terence Ping Ching & Tan, Alex Tai Loong & Geng, Xuesong, 2014. "Rapid capacity expansions and failure: A trap for new airline entrants?," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 176-191.
- Prantl, Susanne, 2003. "Bankruptcy and Voluntary Liquidation: Evidence for New Firms in East and West Germany after Unification," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-72, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.