The Dynamic Adjustment Process of Firm Entry and Exit in Manufacturing and Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate
AbstractThis article examines the dynamic adjustment process of firm entry and exit in manufacturing and finance, insurance, and real estate (FIRE). The object is to extend our knowledge of firm dynamics to include firm exit as well as nonmanufacturing firms. This interindustry comparison of firm dynamics uses a unique longitudinal firm-level data set containing over 13,000 firms. I report three main findings. First, in both industries firm entry is characterized by a decline in the first two moments of the growth rate distributions and by a rise in the first two moments of the relative firm size distribution as firms age. Second, in both industries firm exit is characterized by falling mean growth rates and mean relative firm size for a number of periods prior to exit. Third, relative to FIRE, firm entry and exit in manufacturing is a longer process and involves larger adjustments in relative firm size. Copyright 1996 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law & Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gina Luca Clementi & Hugo A Hopenhayn, 2006.
"A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 121(1), pages 229-265, 02.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhayn, . "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," GSIA Working Papers 2002-E9, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhagn, 2004. "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," Working Papers 04-25, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gian Luca Clementi & Hugo Hopenhayn, 2002. "A Theory of Financing Constraints and Firm Dynamics," RCER Working Papers 492, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2009. "The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics," NBER Working Papers 15544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fackler, Daniel & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2012.
"Lingering illness or sudden death? Pre-exit employment developments in German establishments,"
82, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Fackler, Daniel & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2012. "Lingering Illness or Sudden Death? Pre-Exit Employment Developments in German Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 7081, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel Fackler & Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2012. "Lingering illness or sudden death? Pre-exit employment developments in German establishments," Working Paper Series in Economics 258, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Frech, Ted, 2002.
"Corporate Demography and Empirical Industrial Organization: A Critical Appraisal,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt451647b2, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- H. E. Frech, 2002. "Corporate Demography and Empirical Industrial Organization: A Critical Appraisal," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 437-448.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2011.
"The shadow of death: analysing the pre-exit productivity of Portuguese manufacturing firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 337-351, April.
- Carlos Carreira & Paulino Teixeira, 2009. "The Shadow of Death: Analysing the Pre-Exit Productivity of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms," GEMF Working Papers 2008-05, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Scott Schuh & Robert K Triest, 1998. "Job Reallocation And The Business Cycle: New Facts An Old Debate," Working Papers 98-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Scott Schuh & Robert K. Triest, 1998. "Job reallocation and the business cycle: new facts for an old debate," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 42(Jun), pages 271-357.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006.
"Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," HUI Working Papers 2, HUI Research.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002. "Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Merrell, David R., 2001. "Gross employment flows in U.S. coal mining," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 217-224, May.
- Matthew Gentzkow & Jesse M. Shapiro & Michael Sinkinson, 2011. "The Effect of Newspaper Entry and Exit on Electoral Politics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 2980-3018, December.
- Mathias Erlei & Jens-Peter Springmann, 2006. "Small is Successful!?," TUC Working Papers in Economics 0005, Abteilung für Volkswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Clausthal (Department of Economics, Technical University Clausthal).
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Maloney, William F. & Ribeiro, Eduardo, 2001. "Firm entry and exit, labor demand, and trade reform : evidence from Chile and Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2659, The World Bank.
- Kosová, Renáta & Lafontaine, Francine, 2012. "Much ado about chains: A research agenda," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 303-308.
- Prantl, Susanne, 2003. "Bankruptcy and Voluntary Liquidation: Evidence for New Firms in East and West Germany after Unification," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-72, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.