Long-term Risk-Sharing Wage Contracts in an Economy Subject to Permanent and Temporary Shocks
AbstractThis article develops and tests an implication of risk shifting in labor market impl icit contracts. A two-period implicit contract model is presented. Th e optimal contract, in the face of bankruptcy constraints, calls for a real wage that responds asymmetrically to permanent and temporary s hocks to the firm's revenue function. In particular, the real wage re sponds more to a permanent shock than to a temporary shock of the sam e size. This implication is tested on twelve four-digit Standard Indu strial Classification code industries. Eleven of the twelve industrie s sampled show evidence that supports the asymmetric wage response im plication. Copyright 1988 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kátay, Gábor, 2008.
"Do firms provide wage insurance against shocks? Evidence from Hungary,"
Working Paper Series
0964, European Central Bank.
- Gábor Kátay, 2008. "Do Firms ProvideWage Insurance Against Shocks? – Evidence from Hungary," MNB Working Papers 2008/8, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard Stanton & Josef Zechner, 2010.
"Human Capital, Bankruptcy, and Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 65(3), pages 891-926, 06.
- Guertzgen, Nicole, 2009. "Wage insurance within German firms: do institutions matter?," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-043, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Portela, Miguel, 2005.
"The Provision of Wage Insurance by the Firm: Evidence from a Longitudinal Matched Employer-Employee Dataset,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Miguel Portela & Ana Rute Cardoso, 2005. "The provision of wage insurance by the firm: evidence from a longitudinal matched employer-employee dataset," NIPE Working Papers 17/2005, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.