Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Egypt
AbstractThis paper examines empirically the markets for formal and informal credit in Egypt. Using a dataset specifically collected for the purpose, it examines what factors determine whether or not a person borrows from the informal sector using a probit analysis. The paper then conducts a similar exercise for the informal financial sector and seeks to examine whether any link between borrowing in the formal and the informal financial sectors exists. Conclusions are then drawn as to the role of informal financial markets in the development process.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 48 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew McKay & Oliver Morrissey & Charlotte Vaillant, . "Aggregate Export and Food Crop Supply Response in Tanzania," Discussion Papers 98/4, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Frost, Jon, 2008. "Returns to Qualification in Informal Employment: A Study of Urban Youth in Egypt," MPRA Paper 12599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fikret Adaman & Oya Pinar Ardic & Didem Tuzemen, 2006.
"Network Effects in Risk Sharing and Credit Market Access: Evidence from Istanbul,"
2006/17, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Adaman, Fikret & Ardic, Oya Pinar & Tuzemen, Didem, 2006. "Network Effects in Risk Sharing and Credit Market Access: Evidence from Istanbul," MPRA Paper 4078, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Dec 2006.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2009. "Village Funds in the Rural Credit Market of Thailand," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Frankfurt a.M. 2009 45, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2009. "Village Funds and Access to Finance in Rural Thailand," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃÂ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃÂ¤t Hannover dp-417, Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche FakultÃ¤t.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2011. "Do Village Funds Improve Access to Finance? Evidence from Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 110-122, January.
- Francis Nathan Okurut, 2006. "Access to credit by the poor in South Africa: Evidence from Household Survey Data 1995 and 2000," Working Papers 13/2006, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.