Cross-Sectional Inflation Asymmetries And Core Inflation: A Comment On Bryan And Cecchetti
AbstractThis paper reexamines the evidence relating core inflation to cross-sectional inflation asymmetry using statistical measures that are robust to the criticism of Bryan and Cecchetti. The results here suggest that there does exist significant positive correlation between core inflation and cross-sectional inflation asymmetry, but only at the monthly frequency. Furthermore, a sampling problem is highlighted which underscores the importance of careful Monte Carlo analysis when exact small-sample distributions are unknown. © 1999 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luc Aucremanne & Guy Brys & Mia Hubert & Peter J. Rousseeuw & Anja Struyf, 2002.
"Inflation, relative prices and nominal rigidities,"
Working Paper Research, National Bank of Belgium
20, National Bank of Belgium.
- Luc Aucremanne & Guy Brys & Peter J Rousseeuw & Anja Struyf & Mia Hubert, 2003. "Inflation, relative prices and nominal rigidities," BIS Papers chapters, Bank for International Settlements, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Monetary policy in a changing environment, volume 19, pages 81-105 Bank for International Settlements.
- Suvanto , Antti & Hukkinen , Juhana, 2004. "Stable price level and changing prices," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 28/2004, Bank of Finland.
- James Yetman, 2009. "Hong Kong Consumer Prices are Flexible," Working Papers, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research 052009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Dimitrios D. Thomakos & Constantina Kottaridi & Diego MŽndez-Carbajo, 2007.
"Inflation Dynamics and the Cross-Sectional Distribution of Prices in the E.U. Periphery,"
Working Paper Series, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis
43-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Constantina Kottaridi & Diego Mendez-Carbajo & Dimitrios Thomakos, 2007. "Inflation Dynamics and the Cross-Sectional Distribution of Prices in the E.U. Periphery," Working Papers, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics 0004, University of Peloponnese, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.