A Monte Carlo Investigation of the Box-Cox Model and a Nonlinear Least Squares Alternative
AbstractThis paper reports a Monte Carlo study of the Box-Cox model and a nonlinear least squares alternative. Key results include the following: the transformation parameter in the Box-Cox model appears to be inconsistently estimated in the presence of conditional heteroskedasticity; the constant term in both the Box-Cox and the nonlinear least squares models is poorly estimated in small samples; conditional mean forecasts tend to underestimate their true value in the Box-Cox model when the transformation parameter is not equal to one; and conditional heteroskedasticity tends to worsen the bias in the Box-Cox predicted values. Copyright 1994 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 76 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Asplund, Marcus, 2000.
"What Fraction of a Capital Investment Is Sunk Costs?,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 287-304, September.
- Asplund, Marcus, 1995. "What Fraction of a Capital Investment is Sunk Cost?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 68, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 24 Sep 1999.
- Jason Abrevaya, 2002. "Computing Marginal Effects In The Box-Cox Model," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 383-393.
- Manning, Willard G., 1998. "The logged dependent variable, heteroscedasticity, and the retransformation problem," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 283-295, June.
- Nawata, K. & Kawabuchi, K., 2013. "Evaluation of the DPC-based inclusive payment system in Japan for cataract operations by a new model," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 76-85.
- Kazumitsu Nawata, 2013. "A new estimator of the Box-Cox transformation model using moment conditions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(3), pages 2287-2297.
- James Bugden, 2013. "Renovations and the Repeat-Sales House Price Index," Working Papers 2013.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.