Empirical Models of Cultural Transmission
AbstractThis paper reviews several issues concerning an empirical analysis of the endogenous formation of preferences, as well as cognitive and psychological traits. In particular we show by means of examples how, with existing data, it is possible to identify empirically the distinct influence of family and society at large in the determination of cultural traits, and to disentangle genetic inheritability from cultural and environmental factors determining cognitive and psychological traits. (JEL: I2, Z1, D9) Copyright (c) 2003 The European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04/05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- Z1 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Le Garrec, Gilles, 2013. "Guilt aversion and redistributive politics: A moral intuitionist approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-53, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Panebianco, Fabrizio, 2014. "Socialization networks and the transmission of interethnic attitudes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 150(C), pages 583-610.
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2010. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and Socialization," NBER Working Papers 16512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilles Le Garrec, 2011.
"Redistribution and the cultural transmission of the taste for fairness,"
Sciences Po publications
2011-24, Sciences Po.
- Gilles Le Garrec, 2011. "Redistribution and the cultural transmission of the taste for fairness," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-24, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Krishna B. Kumar & John G. Matsusaka, 2004. "Village versus Market Social Capital: An Approach to Development," Development and Comp Systems 0408003, EconWPA.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2007:i:9:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael M. Pichler, 2010. "The Economics of Cultural Formation of Preferences," Working Papers 431, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Basit Zafar, 2009.
"An experimental investigation of why individuals conform,"
365, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Zafar, Basit, 2011. "An experimental investigation of why individuals conform," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 774-798, August.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompqllr09iak4384sp is not listed on IDEAS
- Berno Buechel & Tim Hellmann & Michael M. Pichler, 2011. "The Dynamics of Continuous Cultural Traits in Social Networks," Working Papers 457, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.