Strategic Formation of Airline Alliances
AbstractThis paper looks at the endogenous formation of airline alliances by means of a two-stage game where first airlines decide whether to form an alliance and then fares are determined. The authors analyse the effects and the strategic formation of airline alliances when two complementary alliances, following different paths, may be formed to serve a certain city-pair market. Alliances hurt rivals and decrease interline fares. Most interestingly, and contrary to what might be expected, the formation of alliances may be unprofitable in a competitive context. This is likely to happen when competition is significant and economies of traffic density are low. © 2007 LSE and the University of Bath
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Congested hubs," Working Papers 2072/15844, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Ginés de Rus & M. Pilar Socorro, 2012. "Access pricing and investment in vertical structures with complementary or rival facilities," Working Papers 2012-06, FEDEA.
- Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010. "Congested hubs," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 358-370, March.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Pierre M. Picard, 2011.
"Airline Alliances, Carve-Outs and Collusion,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3593, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Proost, Stef, 2010.
"Carve-outs under airline antitrust immunity,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 657-668, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Stef Proost, 2009. "Carve-Outs Under Airline Antitrust Immunity," Working Papers 091004, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Stef Proost, 2009. "Carve-Outs under Airline Antitrust Immunity," CESifo Working Paper Series 2848, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier, 1975- & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Airline Consolidation and the Distribution of Traffic between Primary and Secondary Hubs," Working Papers 2072/211632, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Socorro, M. Pilar & Viecens, M. Fernanda, 2013. "The effects of airline and high speed train integration," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 160-177.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Loertscher, Simon & Schneider, Yves, 2010. "The ABC of complementary products mergers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 212-215, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.