Euro and Technology Effects on Job Turnover in Greek Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of Greece’s European Union (EU) accession and European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU) entry, as well as R&D intensity and industry concentration on job creation and job destruction in the Greek manufacturing sector. The study is based on firm-level economic data of 1418 firms and covers the time period from 1995 to 2004. The econometric model, besides other firm-level determinants used in similar studies, incorporates variables that capture the potential impact of EU accession and EMU entry. In addition, the effects of variables, such as R&D, size, age, exports, new investment, profitability and industry concentration ratios are examined. The study reveals that EMU has a substantial negative effect on employment growth in the Greek manufacturing sector. However, it strengthens the effect of exports, new investments in tangible assets and R&D expenditures on the creation of new work positions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece in its journal International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR).
Volume (Year): 3 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Industry study; dynamic growth; manufacturing; financial performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostas Stergidis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.