Sustainable Development: Concepts and Rankings
AbstractOne way of thinking about development - endorsed by the UNDP and the Brundtland Commission - involves improvements in the quality of life which are equitable. This conception invokes two values - equity and well-being - which can conflict. The potential conflict suggests that countries which are doing well in terms of well-being may perform badly on environmental concerns. Desai argued to the contrary that there are positive linkages between human development and environmental protection. He found tentative support for this claim in rankings of developing countries in terms of the HDI and indices of environmental exploitation. This result is not robust when similar exercises are carried out using a different set of countries and closely related indices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2004.
"Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Laurens Cherchye & & Timo Kuosmanen, 2002. "Benchmarking Sustainable Development: A Synthetic Meta-index Approach," Others 0210001, EconWPA, revised 08 Oct 2002.
- Piciu, Gabriela Cornelia, 2012. "Aspects Regarding The Profitability Of The Negotiable Pollution Permits (Ii)," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 16(2), pages 164-173.
- Piciu, Gabriela Cornelia, 2011. "Principles And Practices For Trading Emission," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 15(3), pages 98-108.
- Arif, G.M, 2004. "Bonded labour in agriculture : a rapid assessment in Punjab and north west frontier province, Pakistan," ILO Working Papers 367533, International Labour Organization.
- Stephen Morse, 2003. "Greening the United Nations' Human Development Index?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 183-198.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2004. "Sustainability and Well-being Indicators," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Marco Grasso & Enzo Di Giulio, 2003. "Mapping sustainable development in a capability perspective," HEW 0309001, EconWPA.
- Laurent Gheeraert & Joffrey Malek Mansour, 2005. "On the impact of private capital flows on economic growth and development," Working Papers CEB 05-003.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Stefano Pareglio & Alessandro Vaglio & Marco Grasso & Stefania Migliavacca & Enzo Di Giulio, 2005. "Modelling sustainable human development in a capability perspective," Public Economics 0504008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.