Determinants of bank profitability in a developing economy: Empirical evidence from Bangladesh
AbstractThis study seeks to examine the performance of 37 Bangladeshi commercial banks between 1997 and 2004. The empirical findings of this study suggest that bank specific characteristics, in particular loans intensity, credit risk, and cost have positive and significant impacts on bank performance, while non‐interest income exhibits negative relationship with bank profitability. During the period under study the results suggest that the impact of size is not uniform across the various measures employed. The empirical findings suggest that size has a negative impact on return on average equity (ROAE), while the opposite is true for return on average assets (ROAA) and net interest margins (NIM). As for the impact of macroeconomic indicators, we conclude that the variables have no significant impact on bank profitability, except for inflation which has a negative relationship with Bangladeshi banks profitability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Business Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/TBEM20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Songül KAKÝLLÝ ACARAVCI & Ahmet Ertugrul ÇALIM, 2013. "Turkish Banking Sector’s Profitability Factors," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-41.
- Tomola Marshal Obamuyi, 2013. "Determinants Of Banksâ€™ Profitability In A Developing Economy: Evidence From Nigeria," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 4(2).
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & Sérgio P. Santos & Ronald W. Spahr, 2012. "How to create indices for bank branch financial performance measurement using MCDA techniques: an illustrative example," Working Papers w201213, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mirza Vejzagic & Hashem Zarafat, 2014. "An Analysis of Macroeconomic Determinants of Commercial Banks Profitability in Malaysia for the Period 1995-2011," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41-57, January.
- Mahlia, T.M.I. & Tohno, S. & Tezuka, T., 2012. "History and current status of the motor vehicle energy labeling and its implementation possibilities in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 1828-1844.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.