Greek Banking at the Dawn of the New Millennium
AbstractIn this Paper we analyse the current state, past performance, and future prospects of the Greek banking system. Greek banking is in a period of rapid transformation, reflecting the impact of national, European and international forces. Deregulation and European integration are already intensifying competition. The most revolutionary transformation will follow from the privatization of Greece’s public banks. We focus on two challenges for policy makers: the need to strengthen prudential supervision, and the need to manage the process of restructuring so as to deliver a more efficient, competitive banking system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2791.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicos C. Kamberoglou & Elias Liapis & George T. Simigiannis & Panagiota Tzamourani, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in Greek Banking," Working Papers 09, Bank of Greece.
- Sufian, Fadzlan & Habibullah, Muzafar Shah, 2012. "Globalizations and bank performance in China," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-239.
- Yannis Panagopoulos & Aristotelis Spiliotis, 2006. "Testing Money Supply Endogeneity: The Case of Greece (1975-1998)," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 85-102.
- Sufian, Fadzlan & Zulkhibri, Muhamed, 2011. "The Nexus between Economic Freedom and Islamic Bank Performance in the MENA Banking Sectors," MPRA Paper 51285, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dimitrios P. Louzis & Aggelos T. Vouldis & Vasilios L. Metaxas, 2010.
"Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: a comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios,"
118, Bank of Greece.
- Louzis, Dimitrios P. & Vouldis, Angelos T. & Metaxas, Vasilios L., 2012. "Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: A comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1012-1027.
- NOR HAYATI BT AHMAD & MOHAMAD AKBAR NOOR BIN MOHAMAD Noor, 2012. "The Impact of 1998 and 2008 Financial Crises on Profitability of Islamic Banks," Working Papers id:4993, eSocialSciences.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Habibullah, 2009. "Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability: Empirical evidence from the China banking sector," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 274-291, June.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Delis, Manthos D & Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Staikouras, Christos & Gerogiannaki, Katerina, 2008.
"Evaluating cost and profit efficiency: a comparison of parametric and nonparametric methodologies,"
14039, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manthos Delis & Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki & Christos Staikouras & Gerogiannaki Katerina, 2009. "Evaluating cost and profit efficiency: a comparison of parametric and nonparametric methodologies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 191-202.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Shah Habibullah, 2010. "Developments in the efficiency of the Thailand banking sector: a DEA approach," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(3), pages 226-245, July.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2010. "Financial depression and the profitability of the banking sector of the Republic of Korea: panel evidence on bank-specific and macroeconomic determinants," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), vol. 17(2), pages 65-92, December.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "Determinants of multinational banks’ subsidiary performance: the host and home country effects," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 130-155, August.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucas Bretschger & Vivien Kappel, 2010.
"Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
10/138, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Bretschger, Lucas & Kappel, Vivien & Werner, Therese, 2012. "Market concentration and the likelihood of financial crises," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3336-3345.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.