R&D subsidies and private R&D expenditures: evidence from Italian manufacturing data
AbstractThis paper uses a comprehensive firm level data set for the manufacturing sector in Italy to investigate the effect of government support on privately financed R&D expenditure. Estimates from a non-parametric matching procedure suggest that public assistance has a positive effect on private R&D investment in the sense that the recipient firms achieve more private R&D than they would have without public support. This indicates that the possibility of perfect crowding out between private and public funds can be rejected. Furthermore, in this sample of Italian firms, tax incentives appear to be more effective than direct grants. The paper also examines whether public funding affects the financial sources available for R&D and finds that grants encourage the use of internal sources. The results also show some evidence of positive effects on credit financing for R&D.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carboni, Oliviero A., 2013. "Heterogeneity in R&D collaboration: An empirical investigation," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 48-59.
- Bettina Becker, 2013. "The Determinants of R&D Investment: A Survey of the Empirical Research," Discussion Paper Series 2013_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2013.
- Paola Brighi & Roberto Patuelli & Giuseppe Torluccio, 2012.
"Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs,"
Working Paper Series
61_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- P. Brighi & R. Patuelli & G. Torluccio, 2012. "Self-Financing of Traditional and R&D Investments: Evidence from Italian SMEs," Working Papers wp845, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- OA. Carboni, 2012. "A Spatial Analysis of R&D: the Role of Industry Proximity," Working Paper CRENoS 201204, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.