Exploring the Economic Choice to Participate in Sport: Results from the 2002 General Household Survey
AbstractThis article explores the decision to participate in sports activities in the United Kingdom using a qualitative choice framework. The consistency of the results with neoclassical theories of leisure, and heterodox economic theory, which embraces a psychological view of decision making and structure of demand, is assessed. Finding more support for the latter perspective, the implications of this for sports policy are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102219
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lechner, Michael & Downward, Paul, 2013. "Heterogeneous sports participation and labour market outcomes in England," Economics Working Paper Series 1323, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Wicker, Pamela & Hallmann, Kirstin & Breuer, Christoph, 2013. "Analyzing the impact of sport infrastructure on sport participation using geo-coded data: Evidence from multi-level models," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 54-67.
- Raul Caruso, 2009. "Relational Good at Work! Crime and Sport Participation in Italy. Evidence from Panel Data Regional Analysis over the Period 1997-2003," NCER Working Paper Series 47, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Raul Caruso, 2009. "Crime and Sport Participation in Itay: Evidence from Panel Data Regional Analysis over the Period 1997-2003.\," Working Papers 0904, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Humphreys, Brad & Maresova, Katerina & Ruseski, Jane, 2012. "Institutional Factors, Sport Policy, and Individual Sport Participation: An International Comparison," Working Papers 2012-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Sandrine Poupaux & Christoph Breuer, 2009. "Does higher sport supply lead to higher sport demand? A city level analysis," Working Papers 0905, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Caruso, Raul, 2011. "Crime and sport participation: Evidence from Italian regions over the period 1997–2003," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 455-463.
- Lera-López, Fernando & Suárez, María José, 2012. "Deporte activo y pasivo: ¿Una relación de conveniencia?/Active and Passive Sport: Is it a Marriage of Convenience?," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 489-512, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.