Price Strategies and Compatibility in Digital Networks
AbstractWe analyze competition between two horizontally differentiated network providers. New technologies help the providers to collect consumer-specific information, and such technologies increase the providers' ability to use price discrimination. One example is the mobile providers' choice of investing into third generation mobile systems (3G). Compared to the current 2G systems (GSM), 3G gives the providers more accurate customer specific information (e.g. with respect to customers' location at any time). Since new technologies give the opportunity to implement price discrimination, an interesting question is how the price strategies (price discrimination or not) affect the incentives to unilaterally establish a walled garden where the rival's customers have imperfect access. The main message of the paper is that walled garden strategies are more likely when firms use price discrimination than when they all use linear pricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Journal of the Economics of Business.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Maria Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2002.
"One-Way Compatibility, Two-Way Compatibility and Entry in Network Industries,"
0004, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jan 2002.
- Fabio Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2008. "One-Way Compatibility, Two-Way Compatibility and Entry in Network Industries," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 301-322.
- Manenti, Fabio M. & Ernesto Somma, 2002. "One-Way Compatibility, Two-Way Compatibility and Entry in Network Industries," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 136, Royal Economic Society.
- Fabio M. Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2002. "One-Way Compatibility, Two-Way Compatibility and Entry in Network Industries," Industrial Organization 0205001, EconWPA, revised 04 Oct 2002.
- Fabio Maria Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2008. "One-Way Compatibility, Two-Way Compatibility and Entry in Network Industries," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0068, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.