Antitrust Economics Meets Antitrust Psychology: A View from the Firms
AbstractMany theoretical and empirical studies have examined the effects of antitrust policies on competition from the perspective of consumer welfare. In contrast, this paper examines antitrust policy impacts by exploring the perspective of firms subject to varying degrees of antitrust exposure. Specifically we draw upon a large, firm-level, worldwide survey of firms that allows us to address fundamental questions regarding the magnitude of anticompetitive abuses - as perceived by firms - and the consequence of the establishment of competition policies on these perceptions. Thus, while traditional antitrust economics seeks to collect data on market structure, firm conduct and policy interventions in markets to gain insights into the role of competition policies, this paper adopts the novel, essentially psychological, approach of examining the magnitude of anticompetitive threats as perceived by firms and how these perceptions vary depending on their market and policy environments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Journal of the Economics of Business.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, .
"The Quality of Government,"
19452, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Government," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division, 2001. "Competition Law in Central and Eastern Europe: Five Years Later," Industrial Organization 0111001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.