A European true and fair view?
AbstractAfter a brief historical introduction, the paper examines the true and fair view (TFV) requirement in the Fourth Directive, and in the corresponding company legislation in UK, France and Germany. Differences and nuances are explore from a language and translation viewpoint and also related to pre-Fourth Directive requirements and culture. The extent of true harmonization is questionable. Recent experience and usage of TFV in the UK is critically described and related to the broader European context. The general drift of the argument is that countries are tending to interpret TFV in the context of national culture, national accounting tradition and national GAAP. From a properly European perspective there is a need for changes in attitude from all concerned. TFV and GAAP are living and dynamic concepts. They are affected by the cultures within which they are used. Homogeneous attitudes to such concepts imply homogeneous cultural contexts, and this raises questions of a most fundamental nature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal European Accounting Review.
Volume (Year): 2 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Axel Haller, 2002. "Financial accounting developments in the European Union: past events and future prospects," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 153-190.
- Craner, John & Krzywda, Danuta & Novotny, Jiri & Schroeder, Marek, 2000. "The Determination of a Group for Accounting Purposes in the UK, Poland, and the Czech Republic in a Supranational Context," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 355-397, 09.
- Vladu Alina Beattrice & Matis Dumitru, 2012. "Importance And Vulnerability Of True And Fair View In The Romanian Accounting Environment -Case Study," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 972-977, July.
- Dunk, Alan S. & Kilgore, Alan, 2000. "The Reintroduction of the True and Fair Override and Harmonization with IASC Standards in Australia: Lessons from the EU and Implications for Financial Reporting and International Trade," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 213-226, 07.
- Alina Beattrice Vladu & Dumitru Matis & Oriol Amat Salas, 2012. "True And Fair View And Creative Accounting Conceptual Delimitations Based On Papineau`S Tree Methodology," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(14), pages 9.
- Baker, C. Richard & Wallage, Philip, 2000. "The Future of Financial Reporting in Europe: Its Role in Corporate Governance," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 173-187, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.