The Changing Governance Of Knowledge In Avionics
AbstractTaking in hand the two sides (i.e. cognitive and risk-bearing) of authority in design and production in complex tasks, this paper aims to give a first look at shifts in the locus of authority in the aviation electronics—or avionics—industry. Relying on patent and joint ventures data, we attempt to trace the evolution of problem-solving 'authority' over the evolution of the industry, using an empirical approach which can then be used to explore similar trends in other industries. We find that while it is still too early to say whether we are observing a wholesale shift of 'authority' from aircraft makers to avionics producers, it is clear that the leading avionics producers are challenging their clients in taking the role of systems integrators. We can speculate that we may be observing the beginning of a 'market for technology'. At the very least, we are observing an increasing distribution of both problem-solving authority and risk in this industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nathalie Lazaric & Valerie Merindol & Sylvie Rochhia, 2011.
"Changes in the French Defence Innovation System: New Roles and Capabilities for the Government Agency for Defence,"
Industry and Innovation,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 509-530.
- Nathalie Lazaric & Valérie Mérindol & Sylvie Rochhia, 2011. "Changes in the French defence innovation system: New roles and capabilities for the Government Agency for Defence," Post-Print hal-00599727, HAL.
- Nathalie Lazaric & Valérie Mérindol & Sylvie Rochhia, 2011. "Changes in the French defence innovation system: New roles and capabilities for the Government Agency for Defence," Post-Print halshs-00721850, HAL.
- Gadille, Martine & MÉhaut, Philippe & courault, Bruno, 2013. "Compétences et régulation des marchés du travail dans les pôles de compétitivité : le cas du pôle Pégase," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Editions NecPlus, vol. 2013(02), pages 339-361, June.
- Francesco Losurdo & Valeria Stragapede, 2011. "Could the aeronautics-aerospace industry renovate the 'poles of growth' model as a path of local development?," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1514, European Regional Science Association.
- Sarah Guillou & Nathalie Lazaric & Christian Longhi & Sylvie Rochhia, 2009.
"The French defence industry in the knowledge management era: A historical overview and evidence from empirical data,"
- Guillou, Sarah & Lazaric, Nathalie & Longhi, Christian & Rochhia, Sylvie, 2009. "The French defence industry in the knowledge management era: A historical overview and evidence from empirical data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 170-180, February.
- Sarah Guillou & Nathalie Lazaric & Christian Longhi & Sylvie Rochhia, 2009. "The French defence industry in the knowledge management era: A historical overview and evidence from empirical data," Post-Print halshs-00721866, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.