The Determinants Of The Adoption Of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
AbstractThe paper investigates empirically the decision of firms to adopt 'Advanced Manufacturing Technologies' (AMT) based on a comprehensive specification of a 'rank model' of technology adoption using firm-level data for Swiss manufacturing. The explanatory variables include numerous dimensions of (anticipated) benefits from and costs of technology adoption allowing for uncertainty as well as for information and adjustment costs. Moreover, the effect of complementarities between various functional groups of AMT (design, fabrication, communication, etc.) as well as of learning from the use of previous technology vintages within such functional groups is analyzed, Finally, the size-dependence of the adoption decision is studied in detail. The model yields a quite robust pattern of explanation across estimates with different adoption variables (time period of introduction of AMT, intensity of use of AMT, etc.) with plausible differences of the results based on the alternative adoption measures used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gil, Nuno & Miozzo, Marcela & Massini, Silvia, 2012. "The innovation potential of new infrastructure development: An empirical study of Heathrow airport's T5 project," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 452-466.
- Parhi, Mamata, 2005. "Diffusion of New Technology in Indian Auto Component Industry: An Examination of the Determinants of Adoption," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 08, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Ley Marius, 2010.
"Factors Determining the Adoption of Energy-saving Technologies in Swiss Firms – An Analysis based on Micro Data,"
KOF Working papers
10-257, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Marius Ley, 2013. "Factors Determining the Adoption of Energy-Saving Technologies in Swiss Firms: An Analysis Based on Micro Data," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(3), pages 389-417, March.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Walid Hadhri & Hatem M'Henni, 2011.
"Intra-Firm Diffusion of Innovation: Evidence from Tunisian SME's in Matters of Information and Communication Technologies,"
- Adel Ben Youssef & Walid Hadhri & Hatem M’henni, 2010. "Intra-Firm Diffusion of Innovation: Evidence from Tunisian SME’s in Matters of Information and Communication Technologies," Working Papers 532, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2010.
- Leonid Gokhberg & Tatiana Kuznetsova & Vitaly Roud, 2012. "Exploring innovation modes of Russian companies: what does the diversity of actors mean for policymaking?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 01/STI/2012, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Giuliana Battisti & Heinz Hollenstein & Paul Stoneman & Martin Woerter, 2007.
"Inter And Intra Firm Diffusion Of Ict In The United Kingdom (Uk) And Switzerland (Ch) An Internationally Comparative Study Based On Firm-Level Data,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(8), pages 669-687.
- Giuliana Battisti & Heinz Hollenstein & Paul Stoneman & Martin Woerter, 2005. "Inter and Intra firm Diffusion of ICT in the United Kingdom (UK) and Switzerland (CH) : An Internationally Comparative Study Based on Firm-level Data," KOF Working papers 05-111, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Heinz Hollenstein & Martin Woerter, 2004. "The Decision to Adopt Internet-based E-Commerce : An Empirical Analysis Based on Swiss Firm-level Data," KOF Working papers 04-89, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Jane Bourke & Stephen Roper, 2012. "In with the new: the determinants of prescribing innovation by general practitioners in Ireland," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 393-407, August.
- Heinz Hollenstein & Martin Woerter, 2007.
"Inter- and Intra-Firm Diffusion of Technology: the Example of E-commerce : An Analysis based on Swiss Firm-level Data,"
KOF Working papers
07-157, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Hollenstein, Heinz & Woerter, Martin, 2008. "Inter- and intra-firm diffusion of technology: The example of E-commerce: An analysis based on Swiss firm-level data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 545-564, April.
- Natália Barbosa & Ana Faria, 2008. "Technology adoption: does labour skill matter? Evidence from Portuguese firm-level data," Empirica, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 179-194, April.
- Bocquet, Rachel & Brossard, Olivier, 2007. "The variety of ICT adopters in the intra-firm diffusion process: Theoretical arguments and empirical evidence," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 409-437, December.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2004.
"Diffusion as a Process of Creative Adoption,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
200403, University of Turin.
- Spyros Arvanitis, 2005. "Computerization, workplace organization, skilled labour and firm productivity: Evidence for the Swiss business sector," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 225-249.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2002. "Determinants of the Adoption of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)," WIFO Working Papers 183, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.