Structural change, specialization and regional labour market performance: evidence for the UK
AbstractWhile structural change and regional differences in the pattern of employment specialization are widely perceived to be significant factors in accounting for disparities in the labour market performance of regions in the United Kingdom, there have been relatively few recent attempts to gather detailed evidence on this issue. The current study aims to fill this gap by examining the effects of structural change and associated changes in the pattern of employment specialization on three key indicators of regional labour market performance: the rate of employment growth, the unemployment rate and the rate of nonemployment. The findings indicate that while industry structure has statistically significant effects on regional labour market performance, the quantitative significance of these effects is relatively small.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basile, Roberto & Girardi, Alessandro & Mantuano, Marianna & Pastore, Francesco, 2011.
"Sectoral Shifts, Diversification and Regional Unemployment: Evidence from Local Labour Systems in Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6197, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roberto Basile & Alessandro Girardi & Marianna Mantuano & Francesco Pastore, 2012. "Sectoral shifts, diversification and regional unemployment: evidence from local labour systems in Italy," Empirica, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 525-544, November.
- Roberto Basile & Alessandro Girardi & Marianna Mantuano & Francesco Pastore, 2011. "Sectoral Shifts, Diversification and Regional Unemployment. Evidence From Local Labour Systems in Italy," WIFO Working Papers 411, WIFO.
- Francesco Pastore & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2013. "Polish high unemployment and spatial labor turnover. Insights from panel data analysis using unemployment registry data," Working Papers 2013-18, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Pastore, Francesco, 2013. "Primum vivere… Industrial Change, Job Destruction and the Geographical Distribution of Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 7126, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albrecht Kauffmann, 2012. "Delineation of City Regions Based on Commuting Interrelations: The Example of Large Cities in Germany," IWH Discussion Papers 4, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Torben Schmidt & Peter Jensen, 2013. "Foreign labor and regional labor markets: aggregate and disaggregate impact on growth and wages in Danish regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 809-840, June.
- Pastore, Francesco & Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2012. "Labour Turnover and the Spatial Distribution of Unemployment: A Panel Data Analysis Using Employment Registry Data," IZA Discussion Papers 7074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.