Pricing Asset Scheduling Flexibility using Optimal Switching
AbstractWe study the financial engineering aspects of operational flexibility of energy assets. The current practice relies on a representation that uses strips of European spark-spread options, ignoring the operational constraints. Instead, we propose a new approach based on a stochastic impulse control framework. The model reduces to a cascade of optimal stopping problems and directly demonstrates that the optimal dispatch policies can be described with the aid of 'switching boundaries', similar to the free boundaries of standard American options. Our main contribution is a new method of numerical solution relying on Monte Carlo regressions. The scheme uses dynamic programming to efficiently approximate the optimal dispatch policy along the simulated paths. Convergence analysis is carried out and results are illustrated with a variety of concrete computational examples. We benchmark and compare our scheme with alternative numerical methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5-6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=100141
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gassiat, Paul & Kharroubi, Idris & Pham, Huyên, 2012. "Time discretization and quantization methods for optimal multiple switching problem," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(5), pages 2019-2052.
- Chaton, Corinne & Durand-Viel, Laure, 2013. "Real Asset Valuation under Imperfect Competition: Can We Forget About Market Fundamentals?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11439, Paris Dauphine University.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/11439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Ludkovski, 2010. "Stochastic Switching Games and Duopolistic Competition in Emissions Markets," Papers 1001.3455, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2010.
- El Asri, Brahim, 2013. "Stochastic optimal multi-modes switching with a viscosity solution approach," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 579-602.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.