Spatial dispersion in cournot competition
AbstractThis paper considers the spatial model used by Anderson and Neven (1991) to study firms' decisions on locations without restricting the consumers' reservation price. We note that the pattern of locations varies as the reservation price for a fixed transportation rate decreases. For a high enough reservation price, we find Anderson and Neven (1991)'s result where firms group at the center of the market and serve all consumers. As the reservation price falls, firms start to move away from each other, increasing the quantities shipped to the consumers close to their locations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Spanish Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 2 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidad del País Vasco; DFAE II; Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83; 48015 Bilbao; Spain
Phone: +34 94 6013783
Fax: + 34 94 6013774
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10108/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2013.
"Models of spatial competition: A critical review,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 92(4), pages 851-871, November.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2011. "Models of Spatial Competition: A critical review," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1518, European Regional Science Association.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Isabel Mota, 2011. "Models of Spatial Competition: a Critical Review," FEP Working Papers 411, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:22:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qiang Wang & Qi Chen, 2008. "Cournot competition and location choice with wage bargaining," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(22), pages 1-5.
- Néstor Duch Brown, 2007.
"The empirics of spatial competition: evidence from european regions,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(1), pages 35-60.
- Nestor Duch Brown, 2006. "The empirics of spatial competition: Evidence from European regions," Working Papers in Economics 150, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Ricardo Biscaia & Paula Sarmento, 2013. "Location Decisions in a Natural Resource Model of Cournot Competition," FEP Working Papers 509, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.