Optimal age of retirement and population growth
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to study intergenerational optimal resources sharing when the social planer can choose the retirement age in addition to consumptions and investment. We use the extension of the Diamond analysis by Hu  that incorporates endogenous retirement age. We found that the optimal retirement age is an increasing function of the population growth rate if the elasticity of substitution of old agents' labor for young agents' labor is lower than one. In the millian case, when the size of a population does not matter, and when the elasticity of substitution of old agents' labor for young agents' labor is strictly higher than one, the optimal retirement age is a decreasing function of the population growth rate. In the benthamite case, the change in the optimal retirement age is indeterminate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Note: Received: 19 February 1999/Accepted: 27 February 2001
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Lacomba & Francisco Lagos, 2006.
"Population aging and legal retirement age,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 507-519, July.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & LEROUX, Marie-Louise & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, 2013.
"Fair retirement under risky lifetime,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alexandra Rillaers & David de la Croix & Geraldine Mahieu, 2003.
"How Should The Allocation Of Resources Adjust To The Baby Bust?,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2003-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- David De La Croix & Géraldine Mahieu & Alexandra Rillaers, 2004. "How Should the Allocation of Resources Adjust to the Baby Bust?," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 6(4), pages 607-636, October.
- de la Croix, David & Mahieu, Géraldine & Rillaers, Alexandra, 2000. "How should retirement policy adjust to the baby bust ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001003, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- DE LA CROIX, David & MAHIEU, Géraldine & RILLAERS, Alexandra, . "How should the allocation of resources adjust to the baby bust?," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1741, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Vincent Touze & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2003.
"Vieillissement et richesse des nations,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/2087, Sciences Po.
- Jacques Le Cacheux & Vincent Touzé, 2003. "Vieillissement et richesse des nations," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 84(1), pages 47-91.
- Jacques Le Cacheux & Vincent Touzé, 2003. "Vieillissement et richesse des nations," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 86(3), pages 231-275.
- Gori, Luca & Sodini, Mauro, 2011.
"Nonlinear dynamics in an OLG growth model with young and old age labour supply: the role of public health expenditure,"
28180, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luca Gori & Mauro Sodini, 2011. "Nonlinear Dynamics in an OLG Growth Model with Young and Old Age Labour Supply: The Role of Public Health Expenditure," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 38(3), pages 261-275, October.
- Fernando Perera-Tallo, 2012. "Optimal Retirement Age and Aging Population," 2012 Meeting Papers 728, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Galasso, Vincenzo, 2008. "Postponing retirement: the political effect of aging," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 2157-2169, October.
- Luciano Fanti, 2012. "Growth, PAYG pension systems crisis and mandatory age of retirement," Discussion Papers 2012/153, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Luciano Fanti, 2012. "Consequences of a boost of mandatory retirement age on long run income and PAYG pensions," Discussion Papers 2012/149, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Marie-Louise Leroux & Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2013. "Fair Retirement Under Risky Lifetime," Working Papers halshs-00857945, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.