A Theory of Stopping Time Games with Applications to Product Innovations and Asset Sales
AbstractIn this paper, the pure strategy sub game perfect equilibria of a general class of stopping time games are studied. It is shown that there always exists a natural class of Markov Perfect Equilibria, called stopping equilibria. Such equilibria can be computed as a solution of a single agent stopping time problem, rather than of a fixed point problem. A complete characterization of stopping equilibria is presented. Conditions are given under which the outcomes of such equilibria span the set of all possible outcomes from perfect equilibria. Two economic applications of the theory, product innovations and the timing of asset sales, are discussed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 3 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Dutta, P.K. & Rustichini, A., 1991. "A Theory of Stopping Time Games with Applications to Product Innovations and Asset Sales," Discussion Papers 1991_35, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Dutta, P.K. & Rustichini, A., 1991. "A Theory of stopping Time Games with Applications to Product Innovations and Asset Sales," RCER Working Papers 263, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bobtcheff, Catherine & Mariotti, Thomas, 2012. "Potential competition in preemption games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 53-66.
- Helen Weeds, 2002.
"Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 729-747.
- Weeds, Helen, 2002. "Strategic Delay in a Real Options Model of R&D Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 729-47, July.
- Weeds, H., 2000. "Strategic Delay in a Real Optimna Model of R&D Competition," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 576, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Décamps, Jean-Paul & Mariotti, Thomas, 2000.
"Irreversible Investment and Learning Externalities,"
IDEI Working Papers
97, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Decamps, J.-P. & Mariotti, T., 2000. "Irreversible Investment and Learning Expternalities," Papers 00-534, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Zhang, Heng & Yang, Ming & Bao, Jiye & Gong, Pu, 2013. "Competitive investing equilibrium under a procurement mechanism," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 734-738.
- Dutta, Prajit K & Lach, Saul & Rustichini, Aldo, 1995.
"Better Late Than Early: Vertical Differentiation in the Adoption of a New Technology,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(4), pages 563-89, Winter.
- Prajit K. Dutta & Saul Lach & Aldo Rustichini, 1993. "Better Late Than Early: Vertical Differentiation in the Adoption of a New Technology," NBER Working Papers 4473, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flavia Cortelezzi & Giovanni Villani, 2007. "Strategic Technology Adoption and Market Dynamics as Option Games," Quaderni DSEMS 14-2007, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Smirnov, Vladimir & Wait, Andrew, 2013. "Innovation in a generalized timing game," Working Papers 2013-16, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Regibeau, Pierre & Rockett, Katherine E., 1996. "The timing of product introduction and the credibility of compatibility decisions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 801-823, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.