A simple proof of Ekeland and Scheinkman's result on the necessity of a transversality condition
AbstractEkeland and Scheinkman (1986) prove the necessity of a standard transversality condition under certain technical conditions. Their result is one of the most powerful on the necessity of a transversality condition currently available in the literature, and their proof involves numerous estimations and relies on Ekeland's variational principle and Fatou's lemma. This note relaxes some of their assumptions and provides a simple proof that uses neither Ekeland's principle nor a convergence result like Fatou's lemma.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: April 24, 1998; revised version: September 8, 1998
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2001.
"A Simple Proof of the Necessity of the Transversality Condition,"
Discussion Paper Series
116, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2002. "A simple proof of the necessity of the transversality condition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 427-433.
- Dapeng Cai & Takashi Gyoshin Nitta, 2012. "Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Higher-Order Optimality: Continuous and Discrete Time Problems," Papers 1203.3869, arXiv.org.
- Willem Buiter & Anne Sibert, 2004.
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0409, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne, 2004. "Deflationary Bubbles," CEPR Discussion Papers 4528, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne, 2006. "Deflationary Bubbles," CEPR Discussion Papers 5637, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter & Anne C. Sibert, 2007. "Deflationary bubbles," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3323, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Willem H. Buiter & Anne C. Sibert, 2004. "Deflationary Bubbles," NBER Working Papers 10642, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2000.
"Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems,"
Discussion Paper Series
115, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Kamihigashi, Takashi, 2003. "Necessity of transversality conditions for stochastic problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 140-149, March.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2001. "Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems," Department of Economics Working Papers 01-02, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2002. "Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems," Discussion Paper Series 128, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2004.
"Necessity of the Transversality Condition for Stochastic Models with Bounded or CRRA Utility,"
Discussion Paper Series
152, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Kamihigashi, Takashi, 2005. "Necessity of the transversality condition for stochastic models with bounded or CRRA utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1313-1329, August.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2004. "Necessity of the Transversality Condition for Stochastic Models with Bounded or CRRA Utility," Discussion Paper Series 162, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Oct 2004.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.