Serial cost sharing of excludable public goods: general cost functions
AbstractA group of individuals meet to share the cost and determine output allocations of a partial-excludable public good. We demonstrate that, for general cost functions and preferences that satisfy the Spence-Mirlees sorting condition, the serial cost-sharing formula (Moulin, 1994) has remarkable incentive properties. First, a direct economic mechanism that uses the serial formula is coalition strategy-proof, envy-free and satisfies the stand-alone property. Second, the serial mechanism involves partial exclusion, which is important for the reduction of the free-rider problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: June 10, 1996; revised version; February 11, 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maniquet, François & Sprumont, Yves, 2010.
"Sharing the cost of a public good: An incentive-constrained axiomatic approach,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 275-302, January.
- SPRUMONT, Yves & MANIQUET, François, 2006. "Sharing the Cost of a Public Good: an Incentive-Constrained Axiomatic Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2006-09, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, . "Sharing the cost of a public good: An incentive-constrained axiomatic approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2184, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- SPRUMONT, Yves & MANIQUET, François, 2006. "Sharing the Cost of a Public Good: An Incentive-Constrained Axiomatic Approach," Cahiers de recherche 06-2006, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Norman,P., 2000.
"Efficient mechanisms for public goods with use exclusions,"
15, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Peter Norman, 2004. "Efficient Mechanisms for Public Goods with Use Exclusions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 1163-1188, October.
- Martin F. Hellwig, 2003.
"Public-Good Provision with Many Participants,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(3), pages 589-614, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.