Gini's "Transvariazione" and the Measurement of Distance between Distributions
AbstractThis paper notes that Ginis concept of "Transvariazione" corresponds to the idea of overlapping of distributions. It shows that this concept is implicit in some measures of income inequality such as the Pietra and Gini Index and is at the basis of various measures of distance between distributions. An empirical illustration is provided, based on Israeli data for the period 1978-94.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Empirical Economics.
Volume (Year): 22 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Makdissi, Paul & Mussard, Stéphane, 2006.
"Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2006-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 06-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s - Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 0641, CIRPEE.
- Lambert, Peter & Decoster, André, 2005.
"The Gini coefficient reveals more,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/238410, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Peter J. Lambert & Andre Decoster, 2004. "The Gini Coefficient Reveals More," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2004-18, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 05 Dec 2004.
- Peter J. Lambert & André Decoster, 2005. "The Gini Coefficient Reveals More," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0508, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Stéphane Mussard & Françoise Seyte & Michel Terraza, 2006. "La décomposition de l’indicateur de Gini en sous-groupes : une revue de la littérature," Cahiers de recherche 06-11, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2012.
"Measuring group disadvantage with inter-distributional inequality indices: A critical review and some amendments to existing indices,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(9), pages 1-32.
- Yalonetzky, Gaston, 2011. "Measuring group disadvantage with inter-distributional inequality indices: A critical review and some amendments to existing indices," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- John A. Bishop & K. Victor Chow & Feijun Luo & Lester A. Zeager, . "Changes in Economic Advantage by National Origin After German Unification," Working Papers 0206, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.