Impacts of regional development strategies on growth and equity of Korea: A multiregional CGE model
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the assessment of major regional development strategies such as the three Coastal area development strategies (East Coast Development, South Coast Development, and West Coast Development) and the Seoul-Pusan development corridor strategy in terms of efficiency and equity. Multiregional Computable General Equilibrium for Korea is developed to capture the economic impact of regional investment expenditures, estimating the time-series influences of regional development alternatives on economic growth, inflation, welfare, income distribution, and interregional economic inequality for ten periods. In a sense that the main point of concern in the national development planning of Korea is with the question of improvement of national competitiveness with more equitable interregional income distribution, it is necessary to promote the West Coast region rather than the Seoul-Pusan development corridor. The West Coast regional development can lead to substantial gain in GDP and reduction in regional income disparity. In a multinational economic perspective, this regional development is expected to contribute to the economic cooperation of Northeast Asia and to enhancing the joint comparative advantages between China and Korea. However, it might worsen the income inequality in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Note: Received: September 1999/Accepted: September 2001
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- R13 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General Equilibrium and Welfare Economic Analysis of Regional Economies
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Shin, Inyong & Kim, Hyunho, 2008.
"The Cubic Form Hypothesis and the Flying Geese Pattern Hypothesis of Income Distribution: The Case of Korea,"
10219, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Inyong SHIN & Eiji YAMAMURA & Hyunho KIM, 2012. "The Cubic Form Hypothesis And The Flying Geese Pattern Hypothesis Of Income Distribution: The Case Of Korea," Theoretical and Empirical Researches in Urban Management, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 7(3), pages 5-23, August.
- Raphael BAR-EL & Dafna SCHWARTZ, 2003. "Economic Growth, Inequality And Spatial Demographic Distribution: A Brazilian Case," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 18, pages 147-170.
- Nowook Park & Rohini Somanathan, 2004. "Patronage in public administration: Presidential connections, position assignments and the performance of Korean public prosecutors, 1992-2000," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-02, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Resende, Paulo & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D., 2004. "Free Trade and Transportation Infrastructure in Brazil: Towards an Integrated Approach," MPRA Paper 43068, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hiroshi SAKAMOTO, 2012. "CGE Analysis of Transportation Cost and Regional Economy: East Asia and Northern Kyushu," Regional Science Inquiry, Hellenic Association of Regional Scientists, vol. 0(1), pages 121-140, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.