Measuring Changes in Regional Competitiveness: The Effects of International Infrastructure Investments
AbstractThe paper has two major aims, to review traditional approaches to the measurement of regional competitiveness and to outline possible problems in applying these to cases where international comparisons are involved and major changes in competitiveness are likely. This is based on research on a case study of the effects of building the Channel Tunnel between Britain and France. This raises particular questions about the impact of new transport infrastructure, especially in the context of the attempts to reduce the effects of national frontiers within the European Community. The main conclusions concerns the need to adopt a more dynamic model of the effects of transport cost changes. The paper notes the extreme practical difficulties in making precise forecasts of these effects, but highlights the need to recognize the substitutability of transport for other factors of production, the importance of subjective factors and the likely changes in the spatial organization of production.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Annals of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 23 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vickerman, Roger, 1995. "Location, accessibility and regional development: the appraisal of trans-European networks," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 225-234, October.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1994.
"Industrial Location and Public Infrastructure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Walter Buhr, 2003. "What is infrastructure?," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 107-03, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Roger Vickerman & Klaus Spiekermann & Michael Wegener, 1999. "Accessibility and Economic Development in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15.
- Daniel Coronado Guerrero, 1997. "El proceso de evaluación de las políticas económicas regionales: una revisión de métodos y experiencia," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 37-81.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.