The Source of Economic Growth in OECD Countries: A Review Article
AbstractIn early 2003, the OECD released a major report entitled The Sources of Growth in OECD Countries. In the seventh and final article, Martin Neil Baily from the Institute for International Economics, and former Chairman of the U.S. Council of Economic Advisers reviews the report. Baily notes that key findings include: the diversity in GDP per capita growth across OECD countries, largely reflecting differences in labour utilization; the importance for growth of exposure to international trade, sound macro policies and investment in physical and human capital; and the high returns to growth from business sector R&D activities, in contrast to a lack of any positive effect from government R&D. Baily observes that the report fails to discuss ways to improve employment growth, concluding that combining full employment with high productivity is the key challenge currently facing policymakers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 7 (2003)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Scotland's R&D: problem, or opportunity?
by Brian Ashcroft in Scottish Economy Watch on 2012-05-12 13:55:08
- Peter J. Nicholson, 2003. "The Growth Story: Canada's Long-run Economic Performance and Prospects," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 7, pages 3-23, Fall.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2007.
"Lessons for Canada from International Productivity Experience,"
International Productivity Monitor,
Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 14, pages 20-37, Spring.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2006. "Lessons for Canada from International Productivity Experience," CSLS Research Reports 2006-02, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.