In Search of the Silver Bullet for Productivity Growth: A Review Article of The Power of Productivity and Transforming the European Economy
AbstractThis article reviews The Power of Productivity by William W. Lewis and Transforming the European Economy by Martin Neil Baily and Jacob Funk Kirkegaard. While Lewis postulates a single silver bullet for productivity growth, namely the freedom of consumers, Baily and Kirkegaard advocate a broader package of measures. Despite what the reviewer feels is inadquate attention give by both volumes to innovation and education -- two areas that are generally felt to be very important in terms of productivity -- these books are sure to be seen as two of the major contributions to the debate on productivity and growth around the turn of the century.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 10 (2005)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.