On Inequality in Consumption Expenditures. The Case of Switzerland
AbstractThis study attempts to analyze inequality in consumption on the basis of a method where ENGEL elasticities are derived from Concentration Curves. The idea is to apply the traditional decomposition of the GINI index by income sources to the analysis of the impact of the various consumption categories on overall inequality in consumption. Such an approach allows one to estimate the elasticity of the overall GINI index of inequality in consumption with respect to each of the consumption categories and thus to derive policy implications concerning the effect of changes in indirect taxes or in subsidies. By breaking down the population into poor and rich household one is also able to analyze the specific impact of such policy changes on these two subgroups. A distinction may then be made between policies aimed at reducing overall inequality, poverty or poverty among the very poor. Throughout the study the methodology is applied to consumption expenditures data provided by the 1990 Swiss Consumption Survey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 134 (1998)
Issue (Month): IV (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramses H. ABUL NAGA, 2001.
"Social Welfare Orderings: A Life-Cycle Perspective,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
01.12, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Ramses H. Abul Naga, 2005. "Social Welfare Orderings: A Life-Cycle Perspective," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 497-514, 08.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2008.
"Linking Yitzhaki’s and Dagum’s Gini Decompositions,"
08-13, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jul 2008.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2012. "Linking Yitzhaki's and Dagum's Gini decompositions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(23), pages 2997-3010, August.
- Stéphane Mussard & Patrick Richard, 2008. "Linking Yitzhaki’s and Dagum’s Gini Decompositions," Cahiers de recherche 08-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.