The Composition of Public Expenditure and Economic Growth: Can Anything be Learned from Swiss Data?
AbstractUsing time-series tests, the paper provides evidence that fiscal spending can influence long-run growth. Data on six functional categories of public spending (education, health care, social welfare, transport, justice and national defense) over the period 1950 to 1994 are examined for Switzerland. Permanent growth effects are found only for two expenditure categories: education (positive) and health care (negative). In addition, higher spending on transport infrastructure and on defense appear to exert a temporary influence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 133 (1997)
Issue (Month): III (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Celal Kucuker, 2003. "Türkiye Ýktisat Kongresi Büyüme Stratejileri Çalýþma Grubu," Working Papers 2003/5, Turkish Economic Association.
- Christoph Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2006.
"Growth effects of public expenditure on the state and local level: evidence from a sample of rich governments,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1181-1192.
- Christoph A. Schaltegger & Benno Torgler, 2004. "Growth Effects of Public Expenditure on the State and Local Level: Evidence from a Sample of Rich Governments," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-16, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- World Bank, 2000. "Guatemala : Expenditure Reform in a Post-Conflict Country," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15481, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Seychelles - Public Expenditure Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3089, The World Bank.
- W. Robert Reed & Nurul Sidek, 2013. "A Replication of "Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Fiscal Policies on Long-Run Growth" (European Journal of Political Economy, 2004)," Working Papers in Economics 13/33, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.