Advanced Search
MyIDEAS: Login to save this article or follow this journal

The Influence of Targeted Economic Development Tax Incentives on County Economic Growth: Evidence From Michigan's MEGA Credits

Contents:

Author Info

  • Michael J. Hicks

    ()
    (Ball State University, Muncie, IN, USA)

  • Michael LaFaive

    (Mackinac Center for Public Policy, Midland, Ml, USA)

Abstract

This article estimates the county-level impact of the Michigan Economic Growth Authority (MEGA) Credit targeted tax incentives to firms from 1995 through 2002. The authors employ a fixed effects instrumental variable model with spatial and time autocorrelation function tested on aggregate income, employment, the unemployment rate, and sectoral activity in manufacturing, wholesale, and construction. The authors find no impacts of the MEGA credit program on county-level aggregate employment, unemployment rates, wages, or incomes. Furthermore, there is no impact of manufacturing or warehousing credits on employment or wages in these sectors. The authors do find that MEGA credits produce a transient impact on construction employment (a drop in construction wages is statistically but not economically significant). The construction impact of MEGA is an estimated $ 123,000 investment per construction job. Generally, 75% of these jobs last for I year, with the remaining 25% lasting only into the second year.

Download Info

If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
File URL: http://edq.sagepub.com/content/25/2/193.abstractFileFormat:text/html
Download Restriction: no

Bibliographic Info

Article provided by in its journal Economic Development Quarterly.

Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Pages: 193-205

as in new window
Handle: RePEc:sae:ecdequ:v:25:y:2011:i:2:p:193-205

Contact details of provider:

Related research

Keywords: Michigan; tax incentives; MEGA; manufacturing; warehousing;

References

No references listed on IDEAS
You can help add them by filling out this form.

Citations

Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
as in new window

Cited by:
  1. Wall, Howard, 2013. "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul: The Employment Effects of the Missouri Quality Jobs Program," MPRA Paper 50605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
  2. Thaiprasert, Nalitra & Hicks, Michael J., 2011. "Industrial Growth in Indiana: Demand Side Decomposition, 2001-2006," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 41(1).
  3. Timothy J. Bartik & Kevin Hollenbeck, 2012. "An Analysis of the Employment Effects of the Washington High Technology Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax Credit," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research 12-187, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
  4. Timothy J. Bartik & George A. Erickcek, 2012. "Simulating the Effects of Michigan's MEGA Tax Credit Program on Job Creation and Fiscal Benefits," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research 12-185, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.

Lists

This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

Statistics

Access and download statistics

Corrections

When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:ecdequ:v:25:y:2011:i:2:p:193-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.