Gender Diversity in the Corporate Boardroom: Do Women Affect Risk?
AbstractThis paper provides a brief overall view of the previous research carried out on gender diversity and shows how, against all expectations, the presence of women in the boardrooms cannot affect firms’ leverage and total risk. We draw on theories from psychological, social and economic issues about groups and gender diversity within groups, and carry out a cross-country analysis using data of listed companies for Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Norway. We argue that differences are factitious to justify discrimination or unpopular strategic decisions; despite this, they seem to drive to a larger literature than that which exists.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April-June)
Contact details of provider:
gender diversity; gender preferences; leverage; risk; board diversity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J33 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Compensation Packages; Payment Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.