The Locational Determinants of Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants in Italy: Preliminary Results
AbstractThis paper analyses the locational determinants of FDI inflows in Italy. Given the discrete nature of the data (count data), a random-effect negative binomial-regression model is used to test the a priori expectations on the locational determinants of FDI inflows.The results show that the number of new foreign entrants is fostered by the following provincial characteristics: level of infra-structure, demand level, education attainment and prior concentration of manufacturing plants (in particular, of foreign-owned manufacturing plants). The results also confirm that a high labour cost hinders foreign entry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by SIPI Spa in its journal Rivista di Politica Economica.
Volume (Year): 92 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (July-August)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- R30 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - General
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raffaello Bronzini, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment and agglomeration: evidence from Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
526, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Raffaello Bronzini, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment and Agglomeration: Evidence from Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa04p321, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005.
"Attracting Foreign Direct Investments in Europe: are Italian Regions Doomed?,"
Development Working Papers
200, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005. "Attracting Foreign Direct Investments in Europe: Are Italian Regions Doomed?," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(1), pages 319-, January-F.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005. "Attracting Foreign Investments in Europe - are Italian Regions Doomed?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p148, European Regional Science Association.
- Vittorio, Daniele, 2009. "Organized crime and regional development. A review of the Italian case," MPRA Paper 16547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Radhuber, Michael, 2007. "Crescita Economica o Sviluppo Civile? Altre Vie per il Mezzogiorno," MPRA Paper 8037, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
- Vittorio Daniele & Ugo Marani, 2008.
"Organized Crime and Foreign Direct Investment: The Italian Case,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2416, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vittorio, Daniele & Ugo, Marani, 2008. "Organized Crime and Foreign Direct Investment: the Italian Case," MPRA Paper 7279, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vittorio, Daniele & Ugo, Marani, 2008. "Organized Crime and Foreign Direct Investment: the Italian Case," MPRA Paper 7217, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2001. "Regional inequalities and cohesion policies in the european union," ISAE Working Papers 23, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Daniele, Vittorio, 2007.
"Criminalità e investimenti esteri. Un’analisi per le province italiane
[The effect of organized crime on Foreign Investments. An Empirical Analysis for the Italian Provinces]," MPRA Paper 6417, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.