An Analysis Model for the Disturbances Generated by Collinearity in the Context of the OLS Method
AbstractUnder the conditions of OLS use in order to perform multiple linear regressions, both the estimated parameters values and also computed values of some statistical tests such as coefficient of determination, Fisher test or Student test are influenced by collinearity1. The respective influence is revealed by the values of the coefficient of alignment to collinearity hazard. For this reason, this paper presents an analysis model which identifies the factors and their influences on the above-mentioned indicator. On the one hand, we quantify the factors contribution to the arithmetical mean of coefficients of alignment to collinearity hazard, having in view that the respective indicator reveals the collinearity impact on a linear regression model as a whole. On the other hand, we emphasize the necessary conditions for the positivity of all coefficients of alignment to collinearity hazard, in order to avoid the occurrence of “unexpected signs” in case of some estimated parameters. Also, we bring some clarifications and extensions of the other concepts previously proposed by the author such as: the main and secondary explanatory variable, coefficient of mediated by resultative variable correlation between explanatory variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Economic Forecasting in its journal Romanian Journal for Economic Forecasting.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
arithmetical mean of coefficients of allignament to collinearity hazard; main explanatory variables; secondary explanatory variables; coefficient of correlation between explanatory variables mediated by resultative variable; structural constraints of a multiple linear regression model.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2005. "Impact Of Collinearity On The Estimated Parameters And Classical Statistical Tests Values Of Multifactorial Linear Regressions In Conditions Of O.L.S," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 2(2), pages 50-71.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Pavelescu, Florin Marius, 2004. "Features Of The Ordinary Least Square (Ols) Method. Implications For The Estimation Methodology," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 1(2), pages 85-101, May.
- Jansen, W Jos & Schulze, Gunther G, 1996.
"Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 116-32, January.
- Jansen, W.J. & Schulze, G.G., 1993. "Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway," Papers 9302-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Florin-Marius PAVELESCU, 2011. "Some aspects of the translog production function estimation," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 32(1(41)), pages 131-150, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.