AbstractA strategy to convert quotas to tariffs is to auction the quota rights and use the realized auction prices as guides to setting tariffs. In the 1980s, New Zealand employed auctions to allocate quota licenses. We analyze the relationship between tariff-equivalents and auction prices for auctions with resale. Using panel data from New Zealand's quota license auctions, we estimate the expected value of the tariff equivalent. We exploit data from the secondary market prices to test the model's predictions. The predictions fail, suggesting either that auction prices may understate or that aftermarket prices overstate the true tariff equivalent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sen, Arijit & Swamy, Anand V., 2004.
"Taxation by auction: fund raising by 19th century Indian guilds,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 411-428, August.
- Arijit Sen & Anand V. Swamy, 2000. "Taxation by Auction: Fund-Raising by 19th Century Indian Guilds," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-11, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Arijit Sen & Anand V. Swamy, 2000. "Taxation by Auction: Fund-Raising by 19th Century Indian Guilds," Center for Development Economics 159, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Susan Athey & Philip A. Haile, 2002.
"Identification of Standard Auction Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(6), pages 2107-2140, November.
- SunnevÃ¥g, Kjell J., 2001. "Auction design for the allocation of multiple units of a homogenous good: Theoretical background and practical experience," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt6wh704p7, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Joerin, Robert, 2014. "Improving Market Access: The Role Of Auctions In Converting Tariff-Rate Quotas Into Single Tariffs," Acta Oeconomica et Informatica, Faculty of Economics and Management, Slovak Agricultural University in Nitra (FEM SPU) & Association of Agricultural Economists in Slovakia (APES), vol. 17(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.