Technical Efficiency And Its Determinants In Backward Agriculture: The Case Of Paddy Farmers Of Hailakandi District Of Assam
AbstractThe study measures farm level technical efficiency among paddy farmers of Hailakandi district of Assam on the basis of farm level primary data of 265 cultivators for the peak cropping season of 2009-10. A translog stochastic production frontier is estimated and selected non-input factors are modeled to explain variations in technical inefficiency across cultivators. Age, education levels and proportion of land leased in and HYV cultivation have positive influences on farm level technical efficiency. However indebtedness and percentage of self consumption of farm produce have negative influences. Government support through agricultural extension services is found insignificant. Mean technical efficiency is found to be around 69 percent. Finally the study observes decreasing returns to scale and a negative association between farm size and technical efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by JRDP in its journal Journal of Regional Development and Planning.
Volume (Year): 2 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Journal of Regional Development and Planning, c/o Rajarshi Majumder, University of Burdwan, Golapbag, Burdwan, INDIA - 713104
Web page: http://www.jrdp.in
Technical Efficiency; Agriculture; Paddy; Assam; Farm Size;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1997. "Estimation Of Technical Efficiency In Swedish Crop Farms: A Pseudo Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 22-37.
- Schmidt, Peter & Lin, Tsai-Fen, 1984. "Simple tests of alternative specifications in stochastic frontier models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 349-361, March.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rajarshi Majumder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.