Market Dynamics in the EU, NAFTA, North East Asia and ASEAN: the Method of Constant Market Shares (CMS) Analysis
AbstractOne of the main aims of the regionalism and economic integration is to encourage export performance, especially intra-regional trade. The Constant Market Shares (CMS) method is commonly to examine empirically the countries’ export performance. This paper is addressed to examine the regions’ export performance by applying the CMS method. Firstly, this paper presents the developments of the method. Combining versions of the method by Leamer and Stern (1970), Richardson (1971a, 1971b) and Fagerberg and Sollie (1987), this paper comes up with another version of the method which, the competitive effect is explicitly extended. Second, the new version is then applied to analyze the dynamic markets of some regions (the EU, NAFTA, North East Asia and ASEAN) for the period 1980-2006. This paper concludes that the proliferation of regionalism and economic integrations in the beginning 1990-s caused the change in trade pattern. However, the change in trade pattern only happened in the short term.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Constant Market Shares (CMS); Commodity and Market Adaptation Effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Ragacs & Beate Resch & Klaus Vondra, 2011. "Austria’s Manufacturing Competitiveness," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 35â61.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.