Regionalism versus Multilateralism: Evidence for the Natural Trade Partners Theory from the Euro-Mediterranean Region?
AbstractThe slow pace of multilateral negotiations has given a greater impetus to regional trade arrangements (RTA) as countries are eager to take advantage of welfare enhancing trade creation effect of trade liberalization. At the same time, this approach raises concerns as due their discriminatory nature, RTAs lead to welfare reducing trade diversion from third countries. The paper develops a modified triple-indexed gravity model to measure the trade creation and diversion effects of the preferential trade agreements in the Euro-Mediterranean region. The model is applied to different components of imports, since the welfare implications of each component is expected to be different. Using these measures, the paper proceeds to look for evidence for the Natural Trade Partners Theory using three definitions of natural partners. Results show that there is support for the theory when geographical distance or initial trade volumes are used to define naturalness only for intra-industry components. Stronger support is found when complementarity is used to identify natural partners.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
Trade creation and diversion; Triple-indexed gravity model; Trade blocs; Intra-industry trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Khadan, Jeetendra & Hosein, Roger, 2013. "New Empirical Insights into the “Natural Trading Partner” Hypothesis for CARICOM Countries," MPRA Paper 50493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.