Do Investment Agreements Matter?
AbstractThe study estimates the impact of bilateral investment agreements (BITs) on FDI inflows into fifteen Asian developing countries for the period 1980-81 to 1999- 2000 and examines whether signing an investment agreement with a developed country or a developing country matters. It also examines the impact of regional investment agreements, namely between APEC and ASEAN countries on FDI inflows. Panel data estimations are undertaken and the results show that signing BITs attracts FDI inflows. However, it is BITs with developed countries that increase FDI inflows as compared to BITs with developing countries. Results indicate that investment agreement between APEC countries has increased FDI inflows but that amongst ASEAN countries has had no impact.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment; Bilateral Investment Treaties; Regional Investment Agreements; Economic Fundamentals;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati & Arusha Cooray, 2012. "What Drives FDI Policy Liberalization? An Empirical Investigation," CAMA Working Papers 2012-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.